Courtesy of Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing
- 1 rack beef short ribs, about 2½ pounds, cut into 4-ounce portions
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons bittersweet cocoa powder
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 22-ounce bottle Thy Twisted Sister (chipotle chocolate stout from Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing), Chipotle Stout (Rogue Brewing) or any good stout
- Salt and pepper to taste
Season both sides of the ribs with the chipotle chili powder, salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a Dutch oven, add oil, and sear ribs on all sides. Add the soy sauce, cocoa powder, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, Kosher salt and stout to the roasting pan, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Tightly cover and transfer to the oven. Cook until the ribs are tender and fall from the bones, about 3–3½ hours. Remove from the oven and serve on top of the polenta tamales, with the cooking liquid spooned over the top and slaw on the side.
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 22-ounce bottle Wilder Wheat (Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing),
- Hoegaarden White Ale or Blue Moon
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine 1½ cups of water with the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and slowly add the polenta, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often with a large wooden spoon until the polenta thickens, about 25 minutes.
- Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the Cheddar and Parmesan, and stir well. Allow to cool slightly and wrap in corn husks, tying the ends. Place beer in stock pot with steam basket and steam tamales for 15 minutes.
BEER BRASSICA SLAW
- 1 head cabbage or your favorite brassica (kohlrabi, etc).
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 red onion
- ¼ cup Organic IPA (Santa Cruz Mountain Brewing), Torpedo (Sierra Nevada) or your favorite IPA
- 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Ground pepper
- Shred cabbage and red onion. Chop cilantro finely and mix with cabbage and red onion. Season with lime juice, IPA, salt and pepper.