August 9, 2016 – It was an evening of superlatives as the Monterey Bay Aquarium hosted it’s biggest event ever on Sunday night—a food and wine benefit for victims of the Soberanes fire.
A whopping $111,000 was raised over the course of the evening, which included free-admission for 2,800 community members, 28 food stations and 25 local chefs. Beverages were donated by Bernardus Wines, J. Lohr, Mercy Vineyards, North Coast Brewing and Carmel Valley Coffee Roasting Company.
The fundraiser was a massive undertaking put together by dedicated staff in a very short amount of time. Despite the crowds, participants were good natured and generous with their donations.
An additional Farmers’ Market event at Wharf Marketplace raised another $69,000, including donations from Salinas Valley ag companies. All proceeds are being contributed directly to the Community Foundation for Monterey County—Soberness Fire Fund.
If you missed out on the events Sunday there are still many ways to have fun and contribute to the cause:
- The aquarium is organizing an online auction of goods that were donated for the Sunday event, including a flat screen TV, gift baskets, hotel packages, rounds of golf, dining certificates and lots of wine. The online auction goes live on September 1 at Bidding for Good.
- On Sunday, August 28 dozens of local wineries and chefs are putting on a fundraising event at Folktale Winery from 2-6pm. Tickets are $75 and you can purchase them here.
- McIntyre Vineyards is donating 30% of the sales of its Santa Lucia Highlands 2013 Estate Chardonnay. The offer is available from their online store or at their tasting room in the Crossroads, Carmel.
- On Sunday, August 14 from noon to 8pm the Wine Experience at 318 Cannery Row in Monterey is hosting a fundraiser for the Mid-Coast Fire Brigade. Tickets are $30 and include two glasses of wine and live music from 3-6pm from Johan Soleto.
- On Thursday, August 25 from 5:30-7pm there will be a fundraiser jointly benefiting MEarth and the Soberness Fire Fund at Twisted Roots Tasting Room in Carmel Valley, featuring a delicious wines and paella from Mundaka chef Brandon Miller and tickets are $50 and can be purchased here.