Powerless. That’s how we were and that’s how I felt when our electricity was turned off for three days due to high fire danger in the Santa Cruz Mountains just as we were finishing up this winter issue.
So instead of being glued to my computer screen, editing stories and selecting photos, I found myself lighting candles, building a fire in the fireplace and trying to make the best of a bad situation by cooking up a comforting dinner.
Under normal circumstances I probably would have gone online and downloaded Suzanne Goin’s sublime short ribs recipe— which has become a winter favorite at our house—or tried Andrea Nguyen’s recipe for Viet Beef Stew with Star Anise that I’ve been saving on my computer for months.
But instead I pulled out … Read More